Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Pet adoption @ the Animal Shelter

I swear this dude scared the heck out of me the moment he jumps up his crate
So we decided.... to adopt Asher! 
Close up picture of him!
Stuffs we bought from petsmart

This is by far the best doggy I've ever owned in my entire life. He is a 1 year old Bichon frise breed, and his name is Asher. I never expect that our new dog would be a Bichon frise, so different from the breed that I ALWAYS love. And they are... Corgis.


Yeah... So this is a picture of a Corgi breed. I love them SO much. My neighbor has 2 corgis and I love playing with them the day I first saw them outside my home. They were running around in our front yard and playing catch with us. Their cuteness just killed me and I was telling my dad that I would prefer to get a corgi breed over other breeds. But seriously, who can resist a Corgi breed with their stubby and short legs, fox-looking face, bunny butt? Haha they are cute as can be. I had done ALOT of research on this breed and no doubt, every breed has its pros and cons. Corgis are smart, energetic, easy to potty train and have an easy care and dirt- repelling coat. They are loyal to their owners and are good watch dogs. However, there are several breed traits that I don't really like or can cause problems for many homes. First, Corgis bark ALOT. I cannot see myself studying in an environment at home in which my dog would be barking all day long just because someone walks up the sidewalk or when the doorbell rings. I just can't live with it... But I know of some owners who can. But well, we can't blame them because one of their jobs was to notice something "different"  and alert their owners. It might be a good thing tho if someone breaks into your house, but it isn't necessary in our home because we have a security system installed right next to the front door. So yeah, barking is a no-no. Next, I can't stand excessive nipping/ biting too. My family owned a Wild dog before when I was 8 years old, it is a Labrador breed and it BITES alot. I don't know if it is just play-biting or whatever but it hurts like crap. People say that nasty behaviors like this could take weeks to eliminate or stop if you are patient, consistent and deal with this behavior appropriately but no, the Lab dog just keeps biting me and the biting gets worse during the training process so we had to give it away to a better owner who knows how to deal with it more than we do. And one of the sad things is that corgis do bite alot too, but not only that, they BITE HARD. So.. it's a definite no, I love my hands too much haha. 

So... Back to our Asher. This dog is really god given because he doesn't Bark, Bite, and he is Potty-trained! My mum was telling me that she was praying to our lord god to give us an ideal dog and has all the traits we love and you know what, he is really the ideal one. We were looking around in the animal shelter and there were a couple dogs we love but they are already SENIORS. (8-10 years old) And we would really love to have a puppy or young adult? I don't want to be with a dog for a couple years only and it has to go as dogs only have a life-span of 15 years. It would break my heart to see a dog leave so I want to have a dog with me as long as possible. So... at that point, my mum was like telling the animal shelter volunteer that she came across a cute Bichon frise breed on their website called OZZIE, but we don't see it here in the shelter. And the volunteer was like, Oh ozzie would be here anytime soon, its owner is on her way. So we waited in the waiting room and the moment ozzie turns up, we loved it! Haha he's so full of energy and loves to be carried around. And his fur... too soft like the carpet at home. And we decided to adopt it right away, no second thoughts. But he has to be neutered first before we can bring it back home. It's their policy to ensure that he won't contribute to pet overpopulation problem. Neutering a dog can also bring many health benefits in the long run, but most importantly, it doesn't change a dog's personality. 

We picked him up a week ago. He's quiet, tamed, and probably in pain. It was difficult to prevent him from running around for the first few days following surgery because he's still quite active, but this isn't a good thing too as it might ripped his stitches apart. I was a little concerned at first because he was always licking his stitches and it would increase the chances of getting an infection, but my parents was telling me he would be okay. But no, his stitches started to swell and he vomited alot. I kept telling my dad that we should probably bring him to the vet for a checkup/ or a shot of antibiotics but he's the most cheapo person on earth thinking that we might spend a couple hundred bucks on his visit to the vet. What the... So we just left it the way it is and prayed to god for healing upon Asher.  And he was healed. He is doing fine now, back to his old active self. 

I am trying to play with him as much as possible because I will be going back to school in 39 days. NOOOO. I'm not looking forward to it. Love life the way it is right now. 

Whatever it is, Thank you Jesus for everything.

1 comment:

Joanne C said...

OMG

THE CORGI IS DAMN CUTE